What Is Coin Collecting?
Coin collecting, also called numismatics, is the hobby of collecting rare, valuable, historical, or interesting coins. Collecting coins has been a popular hobby for centuries, dating back to ancient Greece, where people often gave coins as gifts. It's been called the hobby of kings, both because collecting coins was once reserved for the rich and because royals have been known to collect coins.
- What Is Numismatics? Learn the basics of what coin collecting is and why people collect coins here.
- Numismatics Coins and Coin Collecting: This page explores the history of coin collecting and what you can learn from each coin.
- Getting Started Collecting Coins: There are many different approaches to collecting coins and quite a few ways that you can build your collection.
- Starting a Coin Collection: Here's What You Need to Know: Collecting coins can have a lot of benefits, and it's not hard to get started.
- The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Coin Collecting: People have lots of different reasons to collect coins.
- An Introduction to Coin Collecting: Learn about the different things to look for on a coin and the different types of coins you might find.
- A Beginner's Guide to Coin Collecting: Starting a coin collection can be as simple as looking in your pocket.
- Beginner's Guide to Starting a Coin Collection: Think about the types of coins that interest you and why you want to collect coins when you're beginning this hobby.
What Kinds of Coins Do People Collect?
People take many different approaches to coin collecting. Many collectors start off by collecting coins just for fun, without a specific theme in mind; instead, they just save interesting coins as they come across them. Some collectors focus on coins from specific years, while others might collect coins made by a particular mint. One person might be interested in coins that fit a certain theme, such as coins that feature images of nature, while someone else might only want to focus on coins that are made of silver or rare coins from ancient Rome. You might choose to collect a specific set of coins, like all of the U.S. presidential dollars or state quarters. Some people even focus just on error coins, ones that were made incorrectly at the mint.
- Collecting United States Coins: People who collect American coins often try to put together a set of every coin made in a certain year or at a particular mint.
- Top Ten Coins Worth Collecting: Some coins are really rare, which makes them more valuable.
- Error Coins: When coin-makers make mistakes, the results can be really interesting and fun to collect.
- What Types of Coins Are Good for New Collectors? Some of the easiest ways to get started collecting coins are by collecting pennies or silver dollars.
- Guide to Collecting Coins: Be sure to always buy coins from reputable dealers, pay attention to the condition of any coin you're thinking of buying, and take good care of the coins you have.
- What Coins Are Coin Collectors Looking For? Different collectors might be looking to collect a variety of different types of coins.
Valuable Gold Coins
Gold coins are always valuable simply because they're made of a valuable metal. Gold coins keep their value and beauty over time, and a single gold coin can be worth thousands or even millions of dollars. The most valuable gold coin is the 1933 Saint-Gaudens double eagle. It has a face value of $20, but it's actually worth more than $18 million! That's because there's only one. These coins were never officially released to the public, and almost all of them that made it out of the mint were confiscated by the government. A bit of legal wrangling led to one special exception: A single coin, once owned by the king of Egypt, was legalized and allowed to be sold.
- Eight Most Expensive and Valuable Coins in the World: You aren't likely to ever own any of them, but it's still interesting to learn about some of the world's rarest and most valuable coins.
- What's Behind the Most Expensive U.S. Coin? Dive deep into the story of the famous Saint-Gaudens gold double eagle.
- The Ten Most Expensive Coins in the World: Learn about a nickel that's worth millions, the world's first coin with a face value of $1 million, and more.
- Top Most Valuable Coins for Collectors Around the Globe: Explore some of the rarest and most expensive coins in history.
Valuable Silver Coins
Silver is less valuable than gold, but silver coins can still be worth a pretty penny. For instance, a 1794 Flowing Hair dollar, the first dollar coin to be minted by the U.S. government, can be worth between $100,000 and $12 million today, depending on the specific coin's condition. The last American silver dollar coin made for circulation, the 1935 Peace dollar, is easier to get your hands on, going for less than $100, although uncirculated coins have been valued at up to $18,000.
- Nine Most Valuable Silver Dollars That Could Be Worth Millions: What are the most valuable silver coins? Find out here.
- Most Valuable Silver Dollars on the Market Today: Silver dollars are no longer minted, but they're still popular with collectors.
- Most Valuable Silver Coins in Circulation: Because silver itself is valuable, the value of silver coins continues to grow.
- Small Coins, Big Value: Even something as small as a dime can be worth millions of dollars.
Coin Collecting Societies and Publications
- The Royal Numismatic Society: This British organization studies and appreciates coins from all over the world.
- Introduction to the John Reich Collectors Society: Learn about the purpose of the John Reich Collectors Society, which focuses its attention on older American coins.
- The American Numismatic Association: The ANA is dedicated to educating people about the history and collection of coins.
- The British Numismatic Society: If you're interested in collecting pounds, pence, and older denominations of the British Isles, this group may be for you.
- American Numismatic Society: Founded in the 1850s, the American Numismatic Society promotes the study of numismatics.
Coin Collecting References and Value Guides
- Coin Collecting Terminology: Coin collecting has its own vocabulary, and you'll need to understand it to know the value of what you have and what you're buying.
- Coin Price Guide for Beginners: The prices of collectible coins can vary, but this guide can give you an idea of what some coins are worth.
- Which Coins Are Worth Collecting? Trends come and go in coin collecting, but here are some popular types of British coins that people are collecting now.
- Glossary of Numismatic Terms: This page goes through the important numismatic terms every collector must know.
- NGC Price Guide: Check this database to get an idea of how much different coins are worth.